Thursday, December 11, 2008

BROOKE and BUGS

From the summer of 2007. This was the first of 3 burlesque portraits of Brooke I had completed. This is still one of my favorite images. The kind of reaction I get from it mostly though is people feeling sort of perplexed by it. Especially the distorted melting hand but I still stand by it. I love the weird hand!

When I made this piece I was trying very hard to separate all of the textures and trying to distort the image in a subtle way. The satiny shine on the glove, the feathers on the boa, the washed out skin, the warm light on her eyes, the rough texture of the blue green wall behind her. I love the idea of an image carrying a secret symbolic power and I tried hard to not define what was happening and to let it take on a life of it's own.

It is not half of what I'd like it to be but It was happy moment for me! I had just bought some new brushes and it was pure pleasure painting this.

Photobucket

No comments:

The Elemental Delegatates of Artistic Science