Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bizarre coincidence!

The image below I called the "The Nightmares" and I was trying to illustrate an idea I was working on of a kid having nightmares. I remember drawing this very clearly because I was working as a doorman and I was killing time and it is probably the most complete drawing I've ever done while working. The bed room was made up exactly as the room I was currently living in at the time. The bed with two pillows, the window and the chair in the corner. I wish I could speak definitively about my intentions but on the chair I drew a single black glove. I may have done this just because I kept losing my gloves and there actually was a single glove in my room, or I may have just done it on a whim, something quick that occurred to me in the moment.

Photobucket
A few months maybe a year later my friend Jelena linked me to her painter friend Warren's profile on myspace. One of his images depicted a fish head on the corner of a chair against a wall and I thought immediately of my sketch book drawing! After fishing it out and scanning it and looking at them side by side I thought it was an uncanny coincidence. It was so strange, I wanted to talk to this guy Warren about what his intentions were, it seemed like they are both 'dream' images. I mentioned it to Jelena and she sent Warren a copy of my sketch book detail.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
She said and I quote- WARREN: "Oh he must have copied me". I believe my response was, and I quote- JAMES: "Tell him he's a FUCKING HACK"! Unfortunately that ended my interest in talking about intentions and finding out when each of these images were created. I put it behind me, but after all these years I find it still resonates and having found the image again today it still does, even more so! It is so exact they practically fit on top of each other. The open end of the glove mirrors the stump of the fishes neck, the separation between the fingers mirrors the fishes mouth, down to the placement in the picture, bottom right against the wall even the base board sits at the same point!
Photobucket
The only intention of this blog is to say "isn't it weird". There is no pointing fingers, and though both of these images may have been posted on the internet at the time I do not believe for a second that either of us was influenced by the other in any way.

No comments:

The Elemental Delegatates of Artistic Science